Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Scary Future

I was asked, last night, what I thought Terrebonne Parish would look like in ten years. Well, this image factors prominently into my answer.

This is the Island Road, in Pointe-aux-Chenes, at the lower east-end of Terrebonne Parish. From the left, the Gulf of Mexico is just washing over the northbound lane of the road. The area to the right, as I understand it, just three decades ago, used to be an open field...And just to amaze you even more, this image was taken on Tuesday, a considerably normal day with no prospects for rain, just light winds out of the south.

And so, here is my answer, if Pointe-aux-Chenes and lower Terrebonne are our barriers now, then in ten years, I imagine that things will be grim. This road and these environs are probably going to be totally gone, or certainly uninhabitable. In ten years, we will be telling youngsters, "People used to live there."

No comments:

Popular Posts

The Invisible Hand: Management, Economics and Strategy for the Thinking Person (Audio only)