Wednesday, January 31, 2007

Oops...I did not say that, did I?

Here is a quick story...

So last night, while at WOW, a friend and I took a seat with a young lady that he knew. As a single young woman, she was asking us for advice on her current love life. And then she turned to my friend, and asked him what his plans were for Valentine's Day. To that, he told her that he had none, other than to, just perhaps, sit at home and do nothing entertaining.

"This will be my first, single Valentine's in three years," she informed us. Though ostensibly cheerful, her words were laced with a well-understood sense of dread.

"Well this will be my first time in [a few years]." my friend replied, as he sucked down his meal.

Then, glowing with a bit of humorous delight, the young lady turned to him, and asked, "Will you be my Valentine?"

My friend looked at her after yet another bite of his food. His facial expression was earnest and sincere. "I dunno, babe," he told her, without so much as the hint of a smile. "I'll have to let you know."

The impasse of silence that followed his words was shattered only when the young lady recovered from her shock. And she quickly let him know that, while she was only kidding with him, and while she never really expected any real Valentine's Day antics from him, she was genuinely offended.

"You ain't nothing special, anyway," she continued to mouth off, and then she followed that up by telling all of her female co-workers at the restaurant.

For the remainder of the evening--that is, for another long hour--my friend had not chose but to sit in quiet regret. Every effort he made to save face was effectively thwarted by the fact that, just minutes before, he opened his mouth and inserted his entire foot.

That was definitely one wrong way to do it.

The moral of this story: well, every man should definitely monitor his words before he commits a degree of verbal suicide from which he cannot easily recover with the opposite sex.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was colorful and funny. What crazy move. I guess that this lad has not been had to date much lately.

Anonymous said...

I L0VE THIS ST0RY! :] AND T0 THINK THAT IM THE Y0UNG LADY..WELL I JUST HAVE T0 SAY THAT HE DID REDEEM HIMSELF VERY WELL AND IM SURE I HAVE Y0U T0 THANK F0R S0ME 0F IT..A GIRL CANT JUST GET A LIL SENSE 0F HUM0R 0UT 0F THAT B0Y N0W CAN SHE..I WASNT L00KING F0R A DINNER DATE 0R ANYTHING LIKE THAT JUST S0ME0NE T0 CALL MY VALENTINE! :] BUT I L0VED THE CARD AND THE CANDY VERY TH0UGHTFUL AND AS ALWAYS THE NEXT TIME THE TW0 0F Y0U STR0LL 0N INT0 W0W THERE WILL BE A FR0ZEN MUG 0F LEM0NADE AND R00TBEER WAITING F0R Y0U GUYS! P.S. THANKS F0R HAVING MY BACK! :] 0H AND IT WAS M0RE LIKE HIS WH0LE LEG RATHER THAN JUST HIS F00T! L0L!

Popular Posts

The Invisible Hand: Management, Economics and Strategy for the Thinking Person (Audio only)