In the years before Hurricane Katrina, public housing complexes like the St. Bernard and Cooper were the worst places to live in the city of New Orleans. The drug trade and other vices went largely unchecked in these grim places, and violent crime was an everyday scenario. The storm forced the Housing Authority of New Orleans and HUD to shutter these structures, until an adequate plan was devised to either replace them, or even to do away with them. Now, after more than two years, the former tenants are speaking out in protest, demanding that leaders restore their abandoned units. These angry protests have come to assume a violent tone, as these people demand to return to their old way of life...Wow, I don't understand...God, help us.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Popular Posts
-
03.16.2011 - I was on the telephone with a professional acquaintance today, and he asked me if I had plans for St. Patrick's Day, even t...
-
LIVING IT UP UNTIL YOU CAN'T ANYMORE Foremost, I have to warn you: this post is quite a bit lengthy. I am sorry, but each word is necess...
-
Recently, I have been thinking back to an early-morning conversation with Jonathan Melancon, which occurred in September of 2007. I was in H...
-
For many years people said that places in Europe like Sweden were the best models of government, but since the president start[ed] trying to...
-
POLITICS NOVEMBER 25, 2011 Herman Cain's Political Education By DOUGLAS A. BLACKMON And NEIL KING JR. When Herman Cain entered Atlanta...
No comments:
Post a Comment